About Me

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I tell my story. I'm not here to sell a product, but to challenge people's thoughts to take better care of themselves. To validate those that are already doing this. To educate, to eradicate the mental health stigma, to influence those that need influencing and doing all of this with respect as each person has their own journey and we need to recognise that. I am vulnerable and raw. I have to be authentic. I am me. I have faults, I have made and continue to make mistakes, but I learn from those mistakes, I am me.

Thursday, August 10, 2023

The ADF communities need our support now more than ever.

With todays announcement of the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide, we need to support our diggers more than ever.

We lost 41 members of the ADF in Afghanistan but have lost hundreds more on our own soil. They came home from the war, but the war never left them.

I am not interested in the politics of Afghanistan, I am interested in making sure, to the best of our abilities, that those men and women who travelled to a foreign land to protect our way of life are looked after once they return.

I have had the distinct honor and pleasure to get to know some members who deployed to Afghanistan and have heard some horror stories, not of the battlefield, but the way they or others that they know were treated upon their return.

The Royal Commission will stir up a lot of mixed emotions in their communities. Memories of lost ones will come flooding back and thoughts about submissions will enter their minds. A lot of these submissions are going to stir up some very traumatic experiences.

We do not have Royal Commissions for things that work perfectly. The system is far from perfect and this is why it has been called.

Support our veterans, support our active members, give them some space if they need it and give them the support if they need it.

I have learned so much from listening to those that created veteran owned business like Blind Tiger Yoga, Aussie Veterans Coffee CO, Swiss 8, Voice of a Veteran, Performance Functional Training and many others.

When I have bad days, one of the first thoughts that I go to, is what would "X" do, what would "Y" say. These people are incredibly humble and I owe them.

We all owe them.

Please consider supporting the following. They are all incredible humans and veteran owned/operated business who, as I have said, I have learnt so much from and they run these businesses for the right reasons, the health of their colleagues and the wider community.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Suicide - it doesn't have to happen

As I sat here listening to Chester Bennington of Linkin Park sing, "Shadow of the day", the words, "Sometimes solutions aren&...