About Me

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I tell my story. I'm not here to sell a product, but to challenge people's thoughts to take better care of themselves. To validate those that are already doing this. To educate, to eradicate the mental health stigma, to influence those that need influencing and doing all of this with respect as each person has their own journey and we need to recognise that. I am vulnerable and raw. I have to be authentic. I am me. I have faults, I have made and continue to make mistakes, but I learn from those mistakes, I am me.

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Work the problem Mark, work the problem.

I cannot remember where I heard the saying, "work the problem", but it has served me well over the years.

More recently when I went to check in for a flight from Jacksonville to Atlanta and discovered that I had left my phone in the Uber.

Upon discovery of this, the anxiety built up fast and semi panic set in but somewhere within the brain screamed at me, "work the problem Mark, work the problem".

I managed to work the problem, although getting through the Uber website maze to online chat to an Uber rep is a story in itself, and got my phone back.

This was a culmination of a few things.

  1. Breath work. The practise over the years since my diagnoses to control my breathing to control anxiety is paying dividends. This is not a technique that is new and unknown, so please everyone, learn to breath. It is a life skill.
  2. Not having a victim attitude. I could have sat there and royally sooked it up. How you respond to problems and issues will dictate how they end up. This is but one example, but there are countless examples around the world of people having a positive attitude to get a task done, conversely there are also countless examples of when people adopt victim attitudes and the task is lost. Be positive.
  3. Like the image shows (not taken at Jacksonville Airport!!), relax. A relaxed brain will work better. Is it hard to relax when confronted by a task like this, absolutely but, breath, breathe, breathe.
  4. When you are confronted by a problem, work the problem. Analyse it. Look at it. Think about it. Work it out. Inevitably there will always be a solution, you just have to find it. Work the problem. Remember it and use it.

Be Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suicide - it doesn't have to happen

As I sat here listening to Chester Bennington of Linkin Park sing, "Shadow of the day", the words, "Sometimes solutions aren&...