About Me

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I tell my story. I'm not here to sell a product, but to challenge people's thoughts to take better care of themselves. To validate those that are already doing this. To educate, to eradicate the mental health stigma, to influence those that need influencing and doing all of this with respect as each person has their own journey and we need to recognise that. I am vulnerable and raw. I have to be authentic. I am me. I have faults, I have made and continue to make mistakes, but I learn from those mistakes, I am me.

Thursday, August 10, 2023

RUOK Day...

 This Thursday coming up is RUOK day. Whilst this is an amazing initiative, are you prepared for what might happen if the person you are asking says, “No, I am not okay”.

Now not for a minute here am I saying not to ask the question, you can genuinely save a life by doing it. I am just asking that you be prepared for what scenario may play out.
If you are confident in your abilities and knowledge to help someone who is struggling, awesome.

If you are not so confident, and this is where you really need to be honest with yourself, that is perfectly okay, it is a hard question to ask. One way to handle this scenario is that to tell the person that you don’t have the skills to help them, but you are going to sit with them and get someone who does have the ability. This is an incredibly reassuring way to handle the situation.

When you are mentally injured or have a mental health condition, you feel alone, intensely alone and the person you are speaking to may never have spoken to anyone about it so if you sit there with them and get some help, powerful, extremely powerful.

Remember, how you walk with the broken, speaks louder than how you sit with the great.
Check out the RUOK website - https://www.ruok.org.au/ - it is chockers with awesome information and remember by asking the question, you may save a life.

Be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Suicide - it doesn't have to happen

As I sat here listening to Chester Bennington of Linkin Park sing, "Shadow of the day", the words, "Sometimes solutions aren&...