About Me

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I tell my story. I'm not here to sell a product, but to challenge people's thoughts to take better care of themselves. To validate those that are already doing this. To educate, to eradicate the mental health stigma, to influence those that need influencing and doing all of this with respect as each person has their own journey and we need to recognise that. I am vulnerable and raw. I have to be authentic. I am me. I have faults, I have made and continue to make mistakes, but I learn from those mistakes, I am me.

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Brilliant vulnerability yet from some, a distinct lack of empathy.

 I don't need to talk about the absolute tragedy that occurred in Tasmania. The event speaks for itself.

What I want to talk about though is the severe lack of empathy from some current and former members of my own community when this beautiful powerful photograph was made public.
I call this a beautiful photo because here we have two policewomen, overcome with the event (and absolutely fair enough) showing vulnerability and supporting each other. This is beautiful. No fear of stigma, no fear of criticism, just support for each other.
Now as said, some former and current members of my community have called this "unprofessional", "we signed up for it", "its not about you", "just deal with it", "lack of leadership" and many stories of, "back in my day"....wow, just wow.
There is every chance that I will get a fair whack on some police Facebook and other social media sites, in fact I guarantee it (that is, should these people read this post) but to use the saying, "zero fucks given", would be an appropriate response.

I sat on this for a few days wondering to post or not to post, but I feel that it is the right thing to do. To call out such bullshit comments is something that has to be done.
So my triggering incident was a particular type of suicide, should I harden up? Was it unprofessional of me to leave the flat where it occurred? Was I showing a lack of leadership knowing that it had a profound impact on me that lasts to this very day? Do I just suck it up because (apparently) that's what I signed up for? I wonder how they would speak to my face about it or are we talking about keyboard warriors here....I suspect the latter.
Empathy, "the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position". Have any of the current or former members been to an event like this? I severely doubt it but no doubt they will be claiming that they went to x, y and z so that's the same.

Um, no it isn't.
I will finish this rant off by asking, please, have empathy, have sympathy, show some leadership and support these two incredibly strong brilliant police women who are your sisters.

Be well

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suicide - it doesn't have to happen

As I sat here listening to Chester Bennington of Linkin Park sing, "Shadow of the day", the words, "Sometimes solutions aren&...